The Province of Manitoba has a class licence system that differentiates a professional driver from a non-professional driver. But sometimes, even if driving isn’t part of your career, how you spend your leisure time might have an impact on what class of licence you require.

It’s safe to say that most people in the province drive under a Class 5 licence, permitting the operator to drive passenger cars, trucks with two axles, SUVs, vans, and most (but not all) RVs. If your RV or vehicle/trailer combination has more than two axles or weighs more than 4,540 kilograms (10,000 pounds), you may need to upgrade your licence to a Class 3. To confirm the weight of your RV, look for the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), typically located on a sticker inside the driver door, or in your owner’s manual. Don’t forget to estimate and include the weight of your contents, it can add up quickly!The requirements for Class 3 licensing are designed to ensure that anyone driving a vehicle within these parameters has received proper instruction about how to operate a vehicle with increased height and weight. These vehicles have logistical challenges that are unique to them, such as visibility issues and changes in driving conditions like rain, snow, or high wind.If you think you need to upgrade your licence, contact First Class Training Centre.

If you have questions, we can help you understand Manitoba’s licensing requirements. We offer the highest standard of Class 3 driver training, combining in-class instruction with practical in-vehicle training to give you the knowledge and confidence you need to navigate safely in your RV.

Get started with First Class Training Centre and start your new career.